AVG Antivirus is a popular free antivirus client developed by Grisoft, a company based in Czechoslovakia. It is said to have more than 110 million users worldwide. AVG Antivirus is developed for both Windows and Linux/FreeBSD systems, including server versions as well. The features available with the free version include:
- Separate components – AVG Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, LinkScanner, Anti-Rootkit, Web Shield, Security Toolbar, Firewall, Anti-Spam, Identity Protection and System Tools Protection.
- AVG LinkScanner which makes sure that web surfing is made safe on the computer.
- Identity Protection prevents identity theft on the internet or by malicious software.
- AVGADMIN, a remote administration tool that can be used to manage AVG on a centralized network.
- Fully time-customizable update manager.
AVG Antivirus also provides a professional version that includes a few extra features. However, the free version has been accused of advertising the professional version via pop-ups on a daily basis.